The Intellectual Masturbater

"Don't knock [intellectual] masturbation, it's [intellectual] sex with someone I love." -Woody Allen
"Blogging is intellectual masturbation." -The Intellectual Masturbater

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The MoMA On Mem Day (say that five times fast)

So - its been a few days of silence. The reason for that is I was using my Mem Day to do some touristy things in the city for a change. Went to the MoMA with the RX Geek. The new MoMA, that is. Went to the old one as well, back when it was old. Even went to MoMA QNS, when it was in Queens. As always, the time was too short to fully enjoy the whole thing (except for MoMA QNS, which was ridiculously small). Well, there's always the next time I'm in the mood for some touristy things...

Don't do enough of those touristy things, to be honest. And perhaps it is for good reason. It wasn't such a great idea to go there on Mem Day - the place was packed to the brim with tourists, bringing down NYC's general fashion index. Not that I'm any Isaac Mizrahi or anything. In fact, the index tends goes down by a point or two everytime I'm in public. But I digress. The tourists were everywhere, but were particlarly dense (pun intended) around Dali's Persistence of Memory and Van Gogh's Starry Night amongst others. This was not such a bad thing as I have had my fill of those more famous works of art. However, when you're trying to enjoy an exhibit and some random person suddenly decides to stand precisely between you and the work of art so that (s)he can take a close-up picture of Andy Warhol's Gold Marilyn Monroe with their goddamned cell phone, well, then suddenly it starts getting to you. With their cell phone, no less!

Anyhow, after some pranayama and postive-thinking (where's that damn Budda Machine when you need it?), I could continue to enjoy the rest of my visit. And notwithstanding these minor blips on the radar of life, the overall expedition was worth the effort. So, that explains the silence. But it shall be remedied shortly. Just because I wasn't posting, doesn't mean I don't have things to say...
[Note to self: Next time you decide to do touristy things, remember to do them on non-vacation days.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home