The Intellectual Masturbater

"Don't knock [intellectual] masturbation, it's [intellectual] sex with someone I love." -Woody Allen
"Blogging is intellectual masturbation." -The Intellectual Masturbater

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Bindaas!

Apologies for the silence (ie, no posts for a while). I had a meeting with my Dissertation Committee last week. Sensing the impending defense, they suddenly panicked and decided to extract their final pound of flesh from me. Which means they dumped their final load of work on me, in a final attempt to extract their last iota of free labor from yours truly. With all the necessary drama that I see in academia (sometimes, I find it difficult to distinguish between making up with my girlfriend after a fight, and "making up" with my adviser after an argument). Anyhow, as it stands, I'm loaded up right now. So the irregular posts are going to get even more irregular.

I think it's ironic that I found out this week that the OED added the word bindaas to its most recent edition. Why is it ironic? Well, because its origin is
Gujarati bin-das, literally ‘without servitude’, from Sanskrit vina + dasya.
Right now, I am definitely with servitude. They also added the word desi to their lexicon. So this paragraph is no longer bilingual...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home